Translate

Friday, May 7, 2021

Track Coach Basts Lawmakers After Athlete Forced to Wear Mask Collapses at Finish Line

 

Summit High School junior Maggie Williams was a couple meters from the finish line of her 800-meter race when she started to lose consciousness and fell across the finish line, according to the Bend Bulletin.

“I was pushing so hard, and everything went blurry, and I just fell,” Williams said about the fall, which did not prevent her from setting a new school record. “But luckily, I fell at the right spot and crossed the line with my head.”

Williams’s coach, Dave Turnbull, took issue with the fact that she was forced to wear a mask and suggested a lack of oxygen was responsible for her fall.

“I am concerned with the mask rule,” Turnbull said. “This is what I am worried about, and I said this at the beginning of the season. You get a kid running the 800 with a mask on, it is actually dangerous. They don’t get the oxygen that they need. This rule needs to change.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment